OCUL Truth and Reconciliation Committee (OCUL-TR)
OCUL is committed to supporting its member institutions in the ongoing work to advance the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) Calls to Action. We acknowledge the importance of this work as being local, iterative and in partnership with local Indigenous communities.
Working in consultation with key stakeholders, the OCUL Truth and Reconciliation Committee serves to identify potential strategies and initiatives that will support collective and individual OCUL member responses to the TRC Calls to Action and Universities Canada’s 13 Principles on Indigenous Education. The Committee will identify areas where collective action at the provincial level can help OCUL and our member libraries and communities move forward.
Informed by decolonization and Truth and Reconciliation work across Ontario and Canadian libraries and consortia, including organizations such as the National Indigenous Knowledge and Language Alliance (NIKLA) and in partnership with members and local Indigenous communities, the Committee’s focus includes:
- Identifying opportunities for professional development and shared learning for employees of OCUL member institutions.
- Developing a collective approach to support for recruitment/professional support of Indigenous members of the library organization.
- Identifying opportunities for enhancing spaces and services for Indigenous students and researchers.
- Collaborating with and providing support for the work of groups and organizations working on transformative change in libraries, higher education and the knowledge sector.
- Exploring how OCUL might engage with, promote, and/or apply frameworks for Indigenous research and information governance.
Members serve for a two-year staggered term, with the possibility of one term renewal.
- Laura Banfield (McMaster University) - Co-chair, effective Feb. 2024
- Jennifer Thiessen (Brock University) - Co-chair, effective Feb. 2024
- Sarah Toomey (Royal Military College of Canada)
- Catherine Davidson, OCUL Treasurer (Executive Committee designate)
- Kate Davis, Scholars Portal Director
- Amy Greenberg, OCUL Executive Director
Committee established in 2023